SGR Appeal 2021
Thank you for supporting SGR.
In recent months we have:
• Participated in numerous activities at the COP26 climate negotiations, raising the profile of issues such as military carbon emissions, science and activism, and rapid transition. We spoke at two sessions at the People’s Summit for Climate Justice, and received a lot of media coverage including in The Guardian and on COP TV.
• Promoted and internationalised our Science Oath for the Climate campaign, including urging professional bodies to break their financial links with fossil fuel and arms companies;
• Delivered more One Planet, One Life workshops, educating school children about climate change and sustainable living;
• Presented evidence to the public inquiry on the Cumbria coal mine countering misleading claims by the industrial proposers;
• Organised a very successful online conference on the theme of ‘From Science to Activism: How should action follow climate research?’
There is lots more that we want to do over the coming year, including:
• Launching our new Globally Responsible Careers website and resources, to inspire school and university students to pursue ethical work and volunteering opportunities;
• Challenging the UK government’s agenda to accelerate arms races using nuclear, robotic, AI, cyber, and space technologies;
• Developing plans to change SGR’s legal status to open up more funding options;
• Ramping up the pressure for science and technology bodies to divest from fossil fuels – there are hopeful signs that the pressure is starting to produce results!
So we need your help! A donation from you now via the Martin Ryle Trust will help us to continue with our current activities and to do much more.