Bedford Hospital Charity & Friends need to urgently raise £1million to help install:
- A new and dedicated A&E for children
- A new state of the art CT Scanner within the A&E department
Our appeal is on top of Covid 19 funding of £3.1million provided by NHS England for Bedford Hospital that will also allow the hospital:
- To cope with the current Coronavirus pandemic creating safe Red and Green streams for potential infected and non-infected patients
- Provide socially distanced waiting areas
A separate dedicated Paediatric A&E has long been the aim of BHC&F and now with your support, it is within our reach. The installation of a Computerised Tomography (CT) X-ray scanner within the A&E department will significantly improve the service. Currently between 10 to 20 patients attending A&E each day require an immediate CT scan. The nearest scanner is located in the main X-ray Department and patients have to be wheeled along long corridors accompanied by a doctor, nurse and porter to wait for an opportunity between patients booked for routine scans. Having a CT scanner within A&E will:
- Improve immediate care for Stroke and Head Injury patients, plus many other acute emergencies
- Release A&E staff to care for other patients
- Provide additional CT capacity for inpatients from the wards
This new Paediatric A&E department, and indeed the entire A&E with its dedicated CT scanner, will give Bedford Hospital the ability to respond to all emergencies, and equally importantly, ensure the continued excellence of the provision of care at Bedford Hospital.
Thank you very much for your support.